Who is Mary Aldrich, EA?

Mary Aldrich EA

I have been in the accounting and tax profession since 1983, starting as a bookkeeper for a local furniture store in Daytona. Thereafter I took employment with an accountant until 1991 at which time I became Self-Employed. I qualified before the Internal Revenue Service by Examination to obtain the Enrolled Agent designation. I am therefore now a Fat P – Federally Authorized Tax Professional under the regulation of the Federal Laws and am regulated specifically by Circular 230. My background can be verified and checked by inquiring with the Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service.

Degrees held;

BSBA – Bachelors of Science in Accounting
BSBM- Bachelors of Science in Business Management
AA – Associates of Arts in Business Administration

Self employed 1991 to present.

I represented more than a 2000 persons before the Internal Revenue Service. The scope of representation includes tax audits, clarifications of disputes, request for refunds, and much more. As an Enrolled Agent I am qualified to represent a taxpayer at all stages up through BUT NOT INCLUDING the U.S. Tax Court.

I have prepared more than 150,000 client tax filings. The scope of these returns include individuals, estates, gift tax, corporate, partnership, employment and exempt organizations filings.

I have operated from the Daytona Beach area for the entire period of my career, although my clients are spread all over the United States. I travel outside of the State to represent and with the Federal Authority of Enrolled Agent Designation I am eligible to represent clients at State level, regardless of their State. My licensure is considered Federal and therefore I am unwilling to go beyond the law for any one or any thing in as much as if I were to be sanctioned I am not eligible for any employment in a related field ANYWHERE in the United States. I take my credentials very seriously.

It is my attitude that the laws are provided to use for which we all are taxed only on our fair share but we have the burden to understand those laws clearly, however, any person who is paying more tax than they believe is their fair share, then they need to take a close look at their preparer and determine if that person has encompassed the laws available to the maximum understanding.

What is an E.A.?

Enrolled Agent – Explained

Enrolled Agents are tax professionals licensed to represent taxpayers before the IRS. The Enrolled Agent designation dates back to 1884. Many taxpayers were victimized by unscrupulous representatives when claiming losses in post Civil War days. Congress recognized a need to regulate individuals representing citizens dealing with the Treasury Department and created the Enrolled Agent status. President Chester Arthur signed a Congressional enabling act creating the Enrolled Agent credential. Today, Enrolled Agents assist taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service, an instrumentality of the Treasury Department in a number of ways:

  • They prepare tax returns
  • They answer questions regarding national, state and local tax laws
  • They represent taxpayers in disputes with states and the IRS

Enrolled Agents prepare millions of tax returns annually. They also provide tax assistance for estates, trusts, partnerships, corporations and other entities that are required to report taxes. “Enrolled” refers to the fact that the federal government licenses these professionals. They are “Agents” in that they are authorized to appear in place of a taxpayer before the IRS. Enrolled Agents differ from other tax practitioners in a number of ways:

  • They are required to demonstrate their competence in tax matters before they represent a taxpayer before the IRS.
  • They all specialize in taxation.
  • They receive their authority from the federal government instead of the state government.
  • Enrolled Agents complete 72 hours of continuing professional education every three years to maintain their status.

Attorneys and Certified Public Accountants have state, not federal, licenses which limit where they can practice in the U.S. Unlike Enrolled Agents, they don’t always specialize in taxes.